April 01, 2006

OldManRivers is in love, with Metric

"To love is to receive a glimpse of heaven."
- Karen Sunde

There was no way out, the only way out was to give in. Give into the beautiful Emily Hannes and her fantastic voice. To move with the sound of Metric. To feel the breath of the speakers and the fans. Jumping down, falling up and all around was the theme to the night at this Concert. The Metric Concert, April 1st was every bit the experence of the antisipation I thought it would be. Not only did this concert feel and sounds better then listen to the CD at home, it was every bit a true experence as I wanted it to be. I was squished enough to let my eyes pop out and my mind be free as I heard my favorite songs "Handshakes", "Monster Hospital" and "Live It Out". From the sweaty bodies to the ass grabs, this is OldManRivers at the Metric Concert.

I first found out about this concert months ago from Ticketmaster.ca, which I choose to check on a regualar basis. I seen "Metric" and automaticaly said "omg, I am going". At the time I wasn't the biggest Metric fan but a mediocre fan. About a 5/10. Fortunaly my sister just bought the CD, lent it to me, and I had the entire album on my computer. After listening to it I realized "Metric is my new all time favorite band", and it still stands. The entire album is a hit for me. Not one song makes me think "this should not have been on there". The songs became scared into my brain and I love signing along with them. As more people I knew started to like Metric, I was hearing the bands name more often. This new found popularity in a band I first seen two years ago (didn't care for them then) was a new found "heck yeahz!" for OldManRivers. Anyways, back to the story...

I waited and waited for money to come in. I rarly ever had enough to buy tickets and was originaly going to find someone really fun and cool to go with. That never happend. I didn't get a chance to buy a ticket or find anyone to go with. But that was no big deal. I knew that I was going to go to this concert one way or another. Days went by and I said "Metric is coming". It wasn't till 6 days before the concert I even had enough money for the tickets. Unfortunaly, all three shows were sold out. But I was determined to find tickets. I knew I had to go to this concert. Plus, somthing about concerts are just refilling for my soul and liven me up.

I surfed the web. Asking message boards for tickets. It wasn't till I hit a snag with the improv forums, where a girl mentioned before that she could not make it because she had to work. I messages her but never got a hit back. It wasn't this this past wednesday she sends me a message saying I can buy the ticket. "Thank You!" I said to kexe7nek siyam. I added this girl up and we talked; I would meet her here; it would cost this. And bang, OldManRivers was in a ticket. The plus side is this girl is killer, she not only the nicest stranger ever, but an amazing improviser.

I went to the concert. Got there like 2 hours before doors opend. To make things a little bit worse, it was slightly raining and I straightend my hair. Wasn't a big deeal but the coldness was. But thanks to my suave personality, I met this girl named Joy. Joy was nice enough to share her umbrella and we changed spots as each of us would go look in stores. The 2 hour wait went by extremly fast. Now while waiting, all these "kids" waiting in line looked so sterotypical rock brats. Their style in clothes, their attitude, and it was just funny seeing them.

Now we have to remember, this is OldManRivers first time at the Commodore Ballroom on Granville St. I've heard thing about this venue holder but never been. There's been a ton of concerts I wanted to go to, but most of the time its a 19+ place. This time though, it was an All Ages Show.

The line started moving and we made it out of the cold. Upon glancing around, I could see why this was such a great venue holder. With all the chairs, seats, and beautiful dance floor, it made a sweet killer place for a concert. I sat at the table, went to the washroom a few times and waited for Metric to come on stage.

Before Metric was to come up I figured I would go into the "pit" and jump around. I said "I'll see how far I can get to the stage". I slithered my way through the crowd, pushed, shoved, hit and gave some pretty mean looks to make way. The pushing and shoving from other people helped most of the time, for me to get to closer. I made it to about 5-6 people from the front, which wasn't bad. But man was a squished. Boobs, asses and sweaty arms all pushing up aganst me. The smell wasn't unbearable actualy. I thought it would of been worse but, I didn't mind it at all. I stood there waiting for Metric to come on.... waiting... waiting... waiting... and BAM! The music starts.

They played all the songs I wanted (except one) and damn was it fun. From pushing people down, or throwing them up, the ability to hurt people on purpose without any retrobution was quite the enterprise it's cut out to be. When pumped up engery songs came on, everyone sang, or danced, or jumped. People would jump up and down and scream and yell. The words that did come out of my mouth in the silent moments was "I F#%@ING LOVE YOU EMILY!"

"I Fought The War! I Fought The War! I Fought The War! I Fought The War But The War Won" screamed out of my face at the loudest I could go. Screaming away as she sang and moved around in. Everyone moving their bodies off their ground, into the air in complete apreciation for an amaazing song, Monster Hospital.

"Buy This Car To Drive To Work, Drive To Work To Pay For This Car" was screamed in harmony from the crowd. Handshakes is defintly my favorite Metric song and hearing it and being able to scream it with hundreds of others was absolutly charging.

The bouncy floor with the loud music, and not off balance made my day. Metric goes down in the books as one of OldManRivers favorite concerts. This is definitly a glorious day.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home